5 ways to celebrate the 4th without fireworks
- The Fourth of July is this Sunday, and while many COVID-19 restrictions were officially lifted across the state yesterday, most firework displays were already canceled earlier this year. And considering the PNW’s dry spell, it’s probably for the best — as well as the fact that Portland and Clark County have a ban on fireworks for the foreseeable future. Fortunately, you don’t need fireworks to celebrate the holiday. We’ve rounded up five things you can do instead.
- 🥩 Grill some meats from Basics Meat Market. This butcher shop (with multiple locations throughout the city, but you’ll likely find them on Sandy Blvd.) stresses knowing where your food comes from — and theirs comes from Silver Sage Farms and local ranchers. Their website has a great lineup of classes and recipes for you to follow (like omg check out this one for chicken kebabs with grilled veggies in a garlic lemon sauce), and they’ve got deals on pork shoulder, all beef hot dogs, and burger patties through July 11.
- 🎵 Enjoy some brews and a classic dive bar vibe at Kelly’s Olympian. As Portland’s third oldest continuously operated bar (goes back to 1902, folks), Kelly’s brings some OOMPH to the table, and hey, guess what, they officially are at 100% capacity as of this past Wednesday! So head on over and enjoy the atmosphere and vibes of Downtown’s neighborhood bar.
- 🍸 There’s really nothing more “patriotic” than drinking. Which is exactly what you can do at the EastBurn Public House’s Brunch on the 4th. Go for the bubbly happy hour, eat the thick bacon cheeseburger, and stick around for the chicken-and-a-biscuit Bloody Mary (psssst also Sundays are $12 burgers so get on that!).
- ⚾️ Take yourself out to the old ball game. The Pickles are squaring off against the Gresham Greywolves on Sunday, and there are still some seats left. Plus, tickets go for about $14-ish, so it’s cheap and bound to be a fun time.
📺 If you are still craving pyrotechnics, might we recommend this awesome video of the 2018 fireworks show? It’ll only take up about 5 minutes of your time, you don’t have to load a cooler and drive anywhere, and your scared pup won’t have to hide out under the couch!
Thank you to our Bridgeliner Unabridged members. Stories like these are made possible with your membership and support.