Hood Canal is a special place.
As a glacier-formed fjord that’s bursting with Instagram-worthy wildlife, endless recreation, and unbeatable scenery, it’s prime destination for locals to get outside in the summer.
Here are six adventures to experience in the Hood Canal:
- Hike to the top of the world. Mt. Ellinor isn’t a cakewalk, but it’s worth the effort. The 6.2-mile hike rewards you with breathtaking views of the Brothers, Mt. Constance, Mt. Olympus, Olympia, Tacoma, and Seattle. Unless you’re a glutton for punishment, start your hike at the higher trailhead. The local ranger station has information and maps. Mason County Visitor Information | 360-877-2021
- Get your Insta of the canal. The summit of Mt. Walker offers sweeping views of the Hood Canal and the Olympic Mountains. As if that’s not compelling enough, you have two options to the top: hike or drive. Mt. Walker Viewpoint | 360-877-2021
- Watch bald eagles up close. The American Bald Eagle graces the skies around Hood Canal, but there are a few places you can see them congregate up close: Dosewallips State Park, Theler Wetlands, and Big Beef Creek. If you want something guided, Hood Canal Adventures offers Bald Eagle kayak tours. Hood Canal Adventures | 360-301-6310
- Drive the scenic roads. Driving Highway 101 along the Hood Canal is beautiful, but it’s not the only scenic road in the neighborhood. Lake Cushman Road, Hamma Hamma Road, and the Hood Canal Loop are stunning drives with access to hiking, camping, and photo opportunities. The local ranger station can provide information and maps. Mason County Visitor Information | 360-877-2021
- Harvest oysters. If you like oysters, you’re in the right place. The Hood Canal’s oysters are unique and plentiful. You could go to a restaurant to feast, but where’s the fun in that? Grab a shellfish license and head to a beach. If you’re around in the fall, check out the annual Oysterfest. Washington Dept of Fish & Wildlife | 360-249-4628
- Eat at Gear Head. Nestled in the community of Quilcene is a gem that offers the best damn sandwiches west of the Rockies. Everything is made from scratch. Trust their perfect Yelp reviews. Check out their signature sando, the Hemi. Gear Head Deli | 360-301-3244